The advance train ticket booking facilities in Indian Railway allows the passenger to book their train ticket 120 days or 4 months before the date of journey. You can book a train ticket from both online(IRCTC website & IRCTC Official App) or offline before 120 days or 4 months before the date of journey. While for booking an online ticket you must have a valid IRCTC account and after booking a train ticket you will get an SMS( or print your train ticket) from IRCTC. What happened if you get a Waiting list ticket and what does this mean? Don’t worry this guide will help you to understand everything.
After booking the train ticket your ticket status will be either one of them,
- Confirmed Berth
- RAC (Reserve Against Cancellation)
- Waiting List
Types Of Waiting List Ticket
Waiting List ticket means that you have a ticket to travel but you don’t have a seat to sit while traveling. Waiting list tickets are of various types. There are 7 types of Waiting list ticket in Indian Railways. The final status of any ticket will comes after the chart preparation. You can see each of them in this post.
- RLWL: Remote Location Wait List
- RLGN: Remote Location General Wait List
- RQWL: Request Wait List
- PQWL: Pooled Quota Wait List
- LDWL: Ladies Quota Wait List
- GNWL: General Wait List
- CKWL OR TQWl: Tatkal Quota Wait List
Let us understand each of them in brief. What is it and how does it varies from each other.
RLWL: Remote Location Wait List (RLWL)
- Remote Location Wait List (RLWL) means the ticket is issued for intermediate stations (between the originating and destinations). This is because they are important cities or town on that route.
- The confirmation of RLWL tickets depends on the cancellation of the destination confirmed ticket.
- There is no arrangement of RAC ticket.
- There are fewer chances of ticket confirmation.
- Remote location station will also prepare there own chart preparation before the actual departure of the train.
Example: If you have booked RLWL train ticket from Kanpur to Hajipur in a train which starts from New Delhi(Source) to Darbhanga(Destination), your ticket will confirm when the confirmed passenger from Kanpur to Hajipur cancel their ticket.
RLGN: Remote Location General Wait List
- Remote Location General Wait List(RLGN) means the ticket is issued for an intermediate station(not from source) to the destination or nearby destinations stations.
- RLGN comes under general waitlist ticket and having high chances of getting confirmed ticket.
- There is provision on RAC ticket.
RQWL: Request Wait List
- Request Wait List(RQWL) means the ticket is booked from one intermediate stations to other intermediate stations and if it is not covered by the remote location or pooled or by the general quota then the ticket will go into the RQWl categories.
- Ticket will be confirmed when the person traveling from Originating stations to the intermediate stations.
- Ticket will usually be confirmed in these categories.
PQWL: Pooled Quota Wait List
- Pooled Quota Wait List(PQWL) is shared by the several small stations. It occurs when the passenger starts their journey from source or other intermediate stations and abort their journey to some intermediate station before the destination station of the train.
- Normally it is operated from the Originating stations, and there is only one Pooled Quota for the entire run.
- Very fewer chances of getting a confirmed ticket.
Example: PQWL 50/Wl 5
It means your current status is PQWL 50, where 50 means 50 members are already booked their ticket when there is waiting list 3.
LDWL: Ladies Quota Wait List
- Ladies Quota Wait List(LDWL) is the waiting list tickets for Ladies.
- Tickets will be confirmed when other women cancel their ticket.
GNWL: General Wait List
- General Wait List(GNWL) means the passenger booked their ticket from originating stations or close to originating stations.
- GNWK is for general quota.
- This ticket has more chances of getting confirmed.
- The high number of seats is booked from Source to Destination, hence there is a huge number of cancellation of the ticket.
- When RAC ticket is cancelled it is alloted to GNWL
Example: GNWL 7/ WL 6
It means you have a waiting list ticket of 7 and your ticket will get confirmed when 6 passengers who have booked their ticket before you will cancel their journey.
CKWL Or TQWL: Tatkal Quota Wait List
- Tatkal Quota Wait List(CKWL) means the passenger booked their ticket in Tatkal and get the waiting list ticket.
- Tatkal ticket directly goes confirmed or doesn’t. It doesn’t undergo in RAC status.
- There is no waiting list ticket after chart preparation.
- During chart preparation, GNWL is preferred over CKWL.
- Fewer chances of getting confirmed.
Which Waitlist Ticket get Confirmed First
As we have discussed above various types of Waiting List ticket and now we can understand which waiting ticket has more chances of getting confirmed. The sequence is listed below in ascending order.
- CKWL OR TQWL
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
How can I get my waiting ticket refund from Irctc?
You don’t need to do anything to get your refund. Simply cancel your ticket by the above-described steps and you will get the refund of your ticket on the same bank account from which you have made the payment for booking your ticket.
Normally the banks take time to process the refund in
- For Net- Banking/Wallets/Cash Cards transaction: 3-4 business days.
- For Credit Card/Debit Card transaction: 6-7 business days.
But before cancelling your train ticket you must be aware of the ticket cancellation charges of IRCTC.
How to create new account on IRCTC?
We can Book Train Tickets From IRCTC Website and from offline that is Railway counter. But to book online train ticket firstly we have to register on the IRCTC website. This will take no more than 5 minutes to complete the registration process of account creation. Go through the given link to create IRCTC account.
How do you print an E-ticket?
It is necessary to show your ticket while traveling to the train. Whether it is in Hard Copy or soft copy(on your phone). Here you can see how to print IRCTC ticket from IRCTC new website. You can also show the message received from IRCTC. To get the printout of your ticket follows the below steps.