Indian Railways allow passengers to cancel their train tickets if they don’t want to travel before chart preparations. So in case you don’t want to travel then you have a chance to cancel your train ticket by logging into your IRCTC account from which the ticket was booked. Before this, you must be aware of cancellation charges in IRCTC.
Basically, there are two situations where we can cancel our train ticket
- Before Chart Preparations
- After Chart Preparations
IRCTC Cancellation Charges Before Chart Preparations
There are different cancellation charges if we cancel the train ticket before chart preparations. Have a look at the chart below to get a brief overview fo cancellation charges.
- If a confirmed ticket is canceled within 48 hours to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train than the cancellation charges are levied at 25 %.
- If a confirmed ticket is canceled within 12 hours to 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train than the cancellation charges are levied at 50 %.
IRCTC Cancellation Charges After Chart Preparations
Cancellation charges are the same for the tickets whether it is boked from the IRCTC website or from the platform.
- For normal users, you can not cancel E-Tickets after chart preparations. For cancellations of e-tickets after chart preparations, you need to file online TDR.
- No refund of fare will be given in case of RAC tickets if the ticket is not canceled or TDR is not filed.
Cancellation Charges For Tatkal Tickets
- No refund will be given if you cancel the confirmed tatkal tickets. If it has a waiting list ticket then the clerkage charges will be charged.
- All cancellation charges are per person basis.
Cancellation Charges For Waiting List Tickets
- If you have a Waiting List ticket after chart preparations then the flat Rs 60 will be charged for Sleeper Class (SL).
Note: You did not cancel any ticket after the Chart has been prepared. Either you have to travel with that ticket or not travel on that ticket. But you did not get any refund.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
No, you don’t need to cancel waitlisted E-Tickets, because it will be automatically canceled by the IRCTC after chart preparations and you will not be able to travel with that Waiting List ticket.
There are two ways of ticket booking
1. From Counter: If you booked your ticket from Railway Counters and it has a waiting list then you will be able to travel with that Waiting List ticket.
2. From Online (IRCTC): If you booked your ticket from Online websites (IRCTC) or IRCTC App and your ticket has a waiting list then it will be automatically canceled by the IRCTC after chart preparations and you will not be able to travel with that Waiting List ticket.
You don’t need to do lots of stuff to get your refund. Simply cancel your train ticket and you will get the refund of your ticket on the same bank account from which you have made the payment for booking your ticket.
Normally the banks take time to process the refund in
1. For Net- Banking/Wallets/Cash Cards transaction: 3-4 business days.
2. For Credit Card/Debit Card transaction: 6-7 business days.
But before canceling your train ticket you must be aware of the ticket cancellation charges of IRCTC.
It is necessary to show your ticket while traveling to the train. Whether it is in Hard Copy or soft copy(on your phone). Here you can see how to print IRCTC ticket from IRCTC new website. You can also show the message received from IRCTC. To get the printout of your ticket follows the below steps.
Do you know you can book your train ticket from both IRCTC Website as well as IRCTC App?